Thursday, September 20, 2012

10,000 miles from Land of Crocodiles to Land of 10,000 Lakes


I am going to periodically post in English as I have some friends that do not read Thai (like my husband!) and it is good to practice my English…
This is my first blog, so let me introduce myself by sharing who I am, where I am from, and why I am here in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

I am just a typical young Thai lady from Phichit, Thailand that made an enormous decision to move over to the US to be with my future husband. That put me 10000 miles away from my family and friends!  Phichit is located roughly 350 kilometers north of Bangkok, Phichit is known as the Land of the Crocodiles.  Back in Phichit, many people asked me some questions that may be strange to some: “Where is Minnesota?” or “Is Minnesota a state in the USA?”

Anyway, prior to showing you many beautiful pictures related to my life here, let me tell you a little of what Minnesota is famous for; cold (like -30F!), Land of Lakes (11,842 to be exact), Mall of America (shopping!), Minnesota Vikings, “everything on a stick” (State Fair).  Despite how cold it is in Minnesota it is a great place for me (and you?) to live, what to see and do in my 2nd home right here in Minnesota. Now after 6 years here, Minnesota is, in my opinion, the safest, healthiest and stress-free state.

Well, a little bit of formal information here…Minnesota located in the Midwest of the US and it's close to Canada. Minneapolis is the largest city in the state of Minnesota and Saint Paul is the state capital. St. Paul is adjacent to Minneapolis and separates them by the Mississippi River, so this area is nicknamed the Twin Cities.

Minneapolis
The Minnesota State Capital



The Minnesota State Capital

                                            Cathedral of St.Paul, Summit Hill, St.Paul
The Minneapolis Sculpture Garden, across from the Walker Art Center
  
Minnesota Vikings Football Metrodome

                                      Minneapolis skyline over lake Calhoun
The Mississippi River in downtown Minneapolis

 
The Mississippi River in downtown Minneapolis

The Mississippi River at night

 The Mississippi River at night


 Lyndale Park Rose Garden by Lake Harriet

 What do you think of when you think of Minnesota?. Right! First thing that comes to my mind is super duper cold weather. It can be -30F in January, Brrr (some people might think of “mosquitoes”, LOL, Mosquito is Minnesota's State Bird????).

Winter can get very cold without getting above freezing. January and February are the coldest months. 

How long is the winter here? If you ask me, moving from very hot and humid climate, I would say that the winter starts around October or early November and ends between late March and April.  Winter isn't only about the cold weather; it's also about how long it is cold :(

Such a gorgeous snowfall on our boulevard

In the woods by my house

12" of snow

My house

My Neighbor's house



My house


Snow blowing our long driveway and sidewalks

This creek runs by my house

My first snow angel

Fav activity in the winter, snowmobiling
                                 
Winter Carnival snow sculptures at the Minnesota State Fair Grounds in St. Paul.

Winter Carnival snow sculptures at the Minnesota State Fair Grounds in St. Paul.

The state's nickname is The Land of 10,000 Lakes, but Minnesota actually has 11,842 lakes as I mentioned earlier. Some are small and some are quite large.

Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis

Lake Isles in Minneapolis

Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis

Lake Nokomis in Minneapolis

 Lake Superior is the largest freshwater lake in the world; it is also bordered by Canada, Wisconsin and Michigan. 

Lake Superior,  Little Marais
Lake Superior, Little Marais
Lake Superior,Little Marais

Lake Superior, Sugar Cove

Crescent Lake, Superior National Forest Campground
Lake Superior, Little Marais

Lake Superior, Little Marais in the winter

Lake Superior,  Grand Marais in March
I am proud to present that Minnesota has been the healthiest state in the country and ranked by Forbes, Women’s Health or some other study :). Minneapolis has been also voted the Most Bicycle Friendly city in the U.S., I definitely agree.

Cannon Valley Trail

Lake Calhoun bike trail

One important thing (for me, and I believe for many people) that you could not miss is Mall of America or MOA, biggest shopping mall in the US. There used to be 4 anchors, which are Macy’s, Sear, Nordstrom and Bloomingdale, but Bloomingdale was closed last March 2012. Will tell you more for my future posts :)

 

Moreover, there are several big companies based in Minneapolis-Saint Paul that you might recognize, such as; 3M, Best Buy, Target, Cargill, General Mills




OK. I guess it is enough about Minnesota for now. I then now like to talk about what I needed to do to stay here legally and permanently.  Had quite the adventure trying to pass my paper and road tests for my driver license (we drive the other side of the road in Thailand). Let’s wait for the next post J


After 6 years, I am still feeling pretty alien, and I am always homesick. I miss my family, friends and many things about my country. Language is one of my big stresses and sometimes makes me wish I was back at home. To be honest, the only person that really keeps me here is my husband. I always feel I am lucky like I won 1st prize lottery.

1 comment: